Monday, February 19, 2007

"Smart Architecture"

Today's discussion was very interesting and I enjoyed hearing all of your thoughts. When we spoke of possibility of smart architecture using networking as a sort of organizational process I began to think that we may be closer to obtaining this then it appears.

Jane spoke of being able to design from a TRUE reading of the environment. We spoke of a reading involving a higher level of knowledge of the physical environment that can be coded and not one merely responding to assumptions. We also spoke of the possibility of chips that could be put into humans in order to track their movements. The implant may sound a bit extreme but today various social and environmental forces are already heading toward a realm of tracking movement. Today we have GPS vehicle locators, child locators linked to GPS satellites and now Boost Mobile has that new phone (Boost Loopt) with a GPS locator. (They are now known as having the first social mapping service.) This is only the beginning. It is also currently possible to track consumers through things we buy and or sites we visit. A small example is when I buy something off of Amazon.com they give me a list of other things I may be interested in every time I log back on. 90% of the time I’m very interested in buying whatever they 'found for me'. Wal-Mart already takes advantage of this tracking system with a barcode system they refer to as "smart shelves".

Do you think that scripting such information will ultimately lead to an ability to create a smart architecture?

If so do you think we have the ability to network such information into a well organized, obtainable system to those interested in using it (such as future designers)?

I found a book that may be of interest to some [Smart Architecture, by Ed van Hinte, Marc Neelen, Jacques Vink, and Piet Vollaard.] I haven't got a chance to pick it up yet but it speaks of "future dynamics, cycles and systems, and efficient building".

-Nyesha

3 comments:

A624 said...

I think that scripting will lead to smart architecture in the future because the whole structure of scripting is very ordered and complex to the point where you can create a sequential method for designing. However, at this point in time, scripting seems to be not the most popular way of designing as many people are still getting used to manually drawing and modeling on the computer. I think in the next 10 to 20 years though, scripting will take the place of manual computer design and become, like we talked about, a networking system that can be built, programmed, taken apart and rebuilt to suit any purpose.

A624 said...

I forgot to leave my name

-Dave

A624 said...

Interesting. I Like How you said "many people are still getting used to MANUALLY drawing on the computer" Because I think that step itself was once looked at as scripting is now. Meaning before THIS step designers had to transition from TRUE MANUAL (Physically drawing with lead and ink) Into drawing using computers.

Those designers already went through their technological evolution. It's our generations turn.

But I agree, I dont think it will be in full effect any time soon.

Thanks for sharing, Dave.

-Nyesha